Flash player not available.
Click on the covers for more information on the various editions, including their availability.
Note: Flash Player is required to view some of the multimedia elements on this site. If you cannot view the image above these lines, download the most recent version of Flash Player from the Macromedia Flash Player Download Center
Brautigan published the following collections of poems:
Four New Poets (with Martin Hoberman, Carl Larsen and James M. Singer). San Francisco: Inferno Press, 1957.
The Galilee Hitch-Hiker?. San Francisco: White Rabbit Press, 1958.
- Sorrentino, Gilbert. "Ten Pamphlets." Poetry 112.1 (April 1968): 56-61.
The Return of the Rivers?. San Francisco: Inferno Press, 1958.
Lay the Marble Tea?. San Francisco: Carp Press, 1959.
- Frumkin, Gene. "A Step toward Perception." Coastlines 13 (Autumn 1959): 45.
The Octopus Frontier?. San Francisco: Carp Press, 1960.
The San Francisco Weather Report?
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace?. San Francisco: Communication Company, 1967.
- Hirschman, Jack. "Five Poets," Poetry 112.4 (July 1968): 274-275.
- Lock, Beth. "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace?." MyMac.com 2 Nov 1999.
- Nambisan, Vijay. "Pines and Cybernetics?." The Hindu 4 June 2000: 1.
Please Plant This Book?. San Francisco and Santa Barbara: Graham Mackintosh, 1968.
The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster?. San Francisco: Four Seasons Foundation, 1968.
- Anon. "Review of The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster?." Time 24 Jan. 1969: E8.
- Brownjohn, Alan. "Absorbing Chaos." New Statesman 4 Dec. 1970: 772-773.
- Loewinsohn, Ron. "After the (mimeograph)Revolution?." TriQuarterly 18 (Spring 1970): 221-36.
- Maillard, Keith. "Trout Fishing in America, The Pill versus the Springhill Mine Disaster, In Watermelon Sugar." Broadside/Free Press (Cambridge, Massachusetts) 9(5), April 22, 1970: 8.
- McGuane, Thomas. "An Optimist vis-a-vis the Present." The New York Times Book Review 15 Feb. 1970: 49.
- Norman, Albert H. "Energy and Whimsy." Newsweek 29 Dec. 1969: 54-55.
- Porter, Peter. "Dazzling Landscapes." The Observer 3 Jan. 1971: 30.
- Shatkin, Allan I. "Review of Trout Fishing in America, The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster and In Watermelon Sugar." Library Journal 15 Apr. 1970: 1500.
- Warsh, Lewis. "Out of Sight." Poetry 115.6 (March 1970): 440-446.
- Williams, Hugo. "Strolling Across the Bridge?." London Magazine 10 (February 1971): 78-84.
Rommel Drives on Deep into Egypt?. New York: Delacorte Press/Seymour Lawrence, 1970.
- Haroldson, Thomas. "Rommel Limps On Deep into Nowhere." The Fifth Estate [Detroit, MI] 9 July 1970: 16.
- Horwitz, Carey A. "Review of Rommel Drives On Deep Into Egypt." Virginia Quarterly 46 (Autumn 1970): 134.
- Lalley, Michael. "Brautigan: Caught in Success?." Great Speckled Bird 28 June 1971: 11.
- Pritchard, William H. "Shags and Poets." The Hudson Review 23.3 (Autumn 1970): 563-567.
- Roddan, Brooks. "Come Home, Richard Brautigan." Los Angeles Free Press 29 May 1970: 36.
- Rose, Kate. "The Grand Penny Tour: Brautigan's Rommel Drives On Deep Into Egypt." Minnesota Review 10 (1970): 115-116.
- Spector, Robert D. "Betwixt Tradition and Innovation." Saturday Review 26 Dec. 1970: 25-26.
- Williams, Jonathan. "'Anyway, All I Ever Wanted to be was a Poet.' Said Leon Uris, with a Smile, as We Strode Together into the Vomitorium...." Parnassus 1 (Fall/Winter) 1972: 94-105.
Five Poems?. Berkeley: Serendipity Books, 1971.
Loading Mercury with a Pitchfork?. New York: Simon and Schuster/Touchstone, 1976.
- Anonymous. "Review of Loading Mercury with a Pitchfork." Choice September 1978: 815.
- Anonymous. "Review of Loading Mercury with a Pitchfork." Kirkus Review 15 Mar. 1976: 355.
- Daum, Timothy. "Review of Loading Mercury with a Pitchfork." Library Journal 1 Sept. 1976: 1780.
- Fletcher, Connie. "Review of Loading Mercury with a Pitchfork?." The Booklist 15 May 1976: 1317.
- Gannon, Edward. "Review of Loading Mercury with a Pitchfork." Best Sellers 36.7 (October 1976): 226-227.
- Locklin, Gerald. "Review of Loading Mercury with a Pitchfork." Independent Press-Telegram 1 Aug. 1976: L6.
- McLellan, Joseph. "Paperbacks." Washington Post Book World 13 June 1976: M4.
June 30th, June 30th. New York: Delacorte Press/Seymour Lawrence, 1977.
- Anon. "Review of June 30th, June 30th." Choice December 1978: 1364-65.
- Anon. "Review of June 30th, June 30th." Kirkus Reviews 1 July 1978: 743.
- Knowles, Carrie J. "Review of June 30th, June 30th." The Booklist 15 Sept. 1978: 147.
- Locklin, Gerald. "Life through Child's Eyes." Independent Press-Telegram [Long Beach, CA] 1 October 1978: L/S 3
- Petticoffer, Dennis. "Review of June 30th, June 30th." Library Journal 103(4) 15 Feb. 1978: 465.
- Schuster, Arian. "Review of June 30th, June 30th." Young Adult Cooperative Book Review Group of Massachusetts December 1978: 18.
- Stuttaford, Genevieve. "Review of June 30th, June 30th." Publishers Weekly 23 Jan. 1978: 371.
Note: Most of these books are out-of-print but it is sometimes possible to find a second-hand copy at BookFinder.com. The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster is available in a 3-books-in-1 volume together with Trout Fishing in America and In Watermelon Sugar.
Andrew Stafford's interactive Flash version of Please Plant this Book.
Red House Books: Free Poems from Richard Brautigan — includes Boo, Forever, Karma Repair Kit, Flowers for Those You Love, All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace?, Love Poem, The Beautiful Poem and San Francisco Weather Report.
Plagiarist Poetry Archive — An impressive collection of poems to read, comment on and discuss in their poetry forum.
June 30th, June 30th
Selected works of Richard Brautigan on DivineNTD
Most of Brautigan's poetry can be downloaded in either Word or Acrobat format here
(Note: although the site is also called The Brautigan Archives, it holds no relation with this site)
The following articles discuss Brautigan's poetry:
Bokinsky, Caroline C. "Richard Brautigan." Dictionary of Literary Biography (vol. 5) American Poets Since World War II. Gale, 1980: 97-99.
Cusatis, John. "Richard Brautigan?." Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Poets and Poetry. Eds. Jeffrey Gray, James McCorkle, and Mary McAleer Balkun. Westport CT: Greenwood Press, 2005. 187-188.
Kern, Robert. "Williams, Brautigan, and the Poetics of Primitivism." Chicago Review 27.1 (Summer 1975): 47-57.
Novak, Robert. "The Poetry of Richard Brautigan?." Windless Orchard (Purdue) 14 (Summer 1973): 17, 48-50.
Walters, Richard. "Brautigan's Trout Fishing in America, The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster and In Watermelon Sugar." Survey of Contemporary Literature vol 2, Frank Magill (ed.) Englewood Cliffs NJ: Salem Press, 1977: 883-9.
Articles concerning Brautigan's Poetry Readings
Gangeware, Ed. Robert J. "All Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace." The Exploited Eden: Literature on the American Environment. New York: Harper and Row, 1972. 376.
Locklin, Gerald. "Review of Loading Mercury with a Pitchfork". IndPr 1 Aug. 1976: L6.